Thursday, June 20, 2013

3- The balcony girl: PRIYA (ROLI) (1)

Now you know that I was just 13 when I had my first kiss. I won't blame inexperienced ones, but those who are aware of it, must understand that till your feeling is not involved in any physical act such as I had, its unable to make you feel anything, even near to what it feels like when you do it with all your emotions intact. So it was for me. That casual encounter meant nothing to me actually, no matter how it felt at that time.

We shifted our home in the city, to a nearby location known as Japlinganj. On first day when we were shifting, I saw a girl in the house in front of our flat. Only her face was visible from the balcony, she was at. As it was on the first floor and ours' on ground. I was happy just by the fact that there is something interesting. I should tell you that by the time I was in 11th standard and I had not felt any kind of emotion which could be termed as love or even near to it till now. Prime reason of it was that the city, as I have told you being a small one, that too of very conservative means, not allows anything like that. My school as you remember being a boy's one, works as icing on the cake. Till the time I was totally spoiled in the company of bully gang and all the activities which can be considered in-genuine, I was involved with. My parents were working, because of which most of the time I spend at home alone, secluded from any kind of company, other than the movies and music of which I was an addict by then. It was year 2001 when  we shifted in that new house which soon we considered not fit for us. we wanted to get rid of it as soon as possible and were looking for a new one. It had two bedrooms, one inside and one in the entrance hall next to road. Till now I came to know that there was not one but 4 or 5 girls around. So understandably I was not interested much in shifting this house with another one. Although there were many options, I was more interested in the girl of the house in front, on the other side of the road. Whole surrounding and people living on that little road which stretches not more than 100 meters have made a colony like environment among them, even though it was not one. I came to know soon that her name was Priya but everyone called her Roli instead (her pet name). I hate to wake up early in the morning as 90 percent of us do (those who will be interested in my story), still started waking up as early as 6 a.m. the reason was Roli. Every morning at 6 she used to come down to catch her school bus and stand right in front of my window which opens on the road. I had set my bed right next to it, that whenever I feel to get a look of the balcony or road I don't even need to step down of my bed. After one month of shifting there it was my routine that I have to see her in the morning no matter how much I was in sleep and that happens without an alarm clock. When she used to come down, on the road she used to wish morning to her friends, that little faint voice was enough for me to wake me up. She was slim built with dark black eyes, skin so fair and soft that it could be felt even from that gap of 20 feet between her and me, on my window, so much so that even if I touch it even once, no more will I need. Hair long and dark black, complimenting her eyes. If a smile comes on her round little face then it was enough for me to skip that day for school and wonder around whole day, that probably she saw me gazing at her, because of which she smiled. She had all the traits of being a girl with whom I can dream of spending rest of my life. Soon I found time of her return from school also, and became fond to wait even then for her. One thing used to surprise me the most, that how is it possible that she looked fresh and lovely throughout the day as she looked in the morning, in-spite of the whole day in school. Simply because I used to change from a prince to pissed one, in that time, at mine. The only change which occurs in that time that her hair which used to be wet in the morning, dry up till then, and turn their color too, into dark brown from black. I was flat, dead of her charm, nothing else I was able to think of, beside her. There was only one thing in this whole world which I wanted to do is just to touch her once and just one time, talk to her. Just once I wanted that sweet mild voice to call for me or meant to talk with me for any reason whatsoever. I started spending most of the time in my room. I also placed my study table right in front of my bed, so that papa thinks that I was studying all the time. Eventually the same happened, my parents were happy that I have stopped roaming around with my friends and concentrating now on studies. In evening she used to come in her balcony and sit there for hours. While everyone else played I use to sit in my room and watch her seeing and smiling on the bunch playing down on the road. I should make you understand that though I can see her, she or anyone else was unable to see me through the window till I turn my room's lights on. I felt good about it earlier, that I can enjoy seeing her as much I want and as much she comes there, in her balcony which she can't even find out. 

One year passed like it and my parents were happier than ever because for the first time in my life I passed with first class marks in my annual exams. I had started studying even at night and that was the reason behind my results. But the reason behind that night study, was Roli. She used to study at night in her balcony for hours, as it was her board exams of 10th and so I used to do the same. There were many tiny problems in between which I encountered successfully. Like one I remember the most, at night I had to turn lights on because of which I can't watch her continuously as I could get exposed and she could have seen me, watching her. So I brought a curtain for my window and covered lower half with it. Still, I had to see her from the top of the curtain and she could see me. I was thinking what to do now, and right then came with a brilliant idea. I took The mosquito coil and burnt few holes in the curtain through which I could see her and that too on the proper location, even if I get tired and sleep, there should be one hole on every angel I change, so that she stays always in front of my eyes. I was happier than ever, she used to study whole night before her exam days and so do I. She passed with fair grades and so did I, in our respective board exams.

It was year 2003, two years spent like it and all the efforts of my parents leaving that house were in vein as I had declared that I won't. In these two years Roli never talked to me directly but I began to find out that somehow she knew that I use to watch her and even if she didn't, I want her to know now that I do. I had been very good friends with her brothers too in this time. As I was the best cricketer of that road and I was soon famous by the name of Sachin there. Nobody could even count that how many balls I had hit in her house which was considered as out, still was my favorite mode of getting out, and the reason was that the one who hits it, had to bring the ball back. 

We used to wear same color of clothes often, I don't know how it happend but if I took bath early and change my cloths, later she appears in the similar color and soon I started following it too. If she wears a color, I had to wear the same as well, how can I be the one to break the chain. A problem with it was that many times I had to rush to market to buy a similar color T-shirt or shirt she was wearing, because being a girl of course she had wide variety which I had to match up with. I wanted to ask her once if she had similar feelings for me but in-spite of 99 percent chances of success I was unable to do so. what if I proved wrong  and everything is just coincident. How will I face her afterwards if she said 'NO'.Then one day just like that, the day came. 

Those were the times when mobile phones were not popular. we even didn't had a land line number as my parents were planning to leave the house anytime possible.  I was playing Badminton with her brother. It was month of November in 2003. Cold chilly day, still I was sweating heavily and damp with it. Her brother was beating me easily as he used to do often (How could I win from him, as I never wanted to make him feel inferior to me by loosing and make him feel bad, he was her brother). Roli came to me and said her first words, not a word, the whole sentence meant only for me, Her voice coming out for the sake of calling me, the same voice which was waking me up for last two years, keeping me awake late at nights. Those lips which were the chief cause of licking mine all the time to look as shining as they looked, touched each other for the first time for calling me, and she said, " Sachin BHAIYA aapki call aai hai (there is a call for you brother).  I was shattered, finished, ended, unable to move and understand that what should I do. To feel happy that she talked me for the first time or should go to receive the call or to cry that why that call even came. "BHAIYA! aap aa rhe ho? (are you coming)" she called again. "BHAIYA" (Brother)

Continue....

2 comments: